My Personal Journey not only to lose weight, but to find happiness and success along the way in ALL aspects of my life.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Being Obese and Self Esteem

There is no doubt that being obese can have an extremely negative effect on self esteem. Like it or not here in America if you are overweight you are looked down upon and criticized. People are mean. That is the bottom line. Recently when working on a research paper for my Cultural Anthropology class I chose to do a paper on Obesity in America. Do you know that there is a high rate of suicide tied directly to being overweight? It is so disturbing what obesity can do to someone both physically as well as mentally. A few weeks ago I came upon a video on you tube. This video was solid proof to me on exactly how mean people can be.



After watching this video I did some research and looked up this little girls story. Her name is Jessica and she is only 7 years old when this video was made. It horrified me the comments that were made about this 7 year old child. They included:

Go lose weight fatty

kill that ugly thing

Her flubber is flopping everywhere

The comments on this video literally made me sick. You would be happy to know that with the help of an Obesity Clinic Jessica lost 340 lbs and is doing well today. Only once the CPS stepped in. Who is really to blame here? Her parents! but that is an entirely different post for a different day!

No comments:

Post a Comment