My Personal Journey not only to lose weight, but to find happiness and success along the way in ALL aspects of my life.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ali Sweeney's Blog Post Parents Choice

I wanted to discuss Ali Sweeney's blog that she recently posted on her website. The one entitled Parents choice. Before I go any further here is a copy of what she wrote.


Parents’ Choice
Posted by Ali Sweeney on Sep 2, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Okay, I have to vent here. 
I promise I am just venting, not judging, because obviously I only know what I am looking at right now, and don’t necessarily know the whole story.
Anyway, I am sitting at my favorite coffee shop and there is a sweet, adorable girl at the next table with her dad. She can’t be more than eight years old, and she is at least 30 pounds overweight. At her height, that is a lot. Her dad is overweight, also. But what I want to vent about is that they both have huge, frothy, milky, chocolaty frozen drinks with extra whipped cream in their hands. Those things are loaded, loaded, loaded with calories, sugar, and fat—with no worthwhile nutritional qualities.
I get that we all need treats occasionally, but those are just the worst for you—and it concerns me that a parent would let a child (one for whom obesity is apparently a real risk) order something like that, and set the example of drinking one in front of her. All she knows is that she wants something sweet—she is not old enough to understand the consequences, and I’m worried that no one is teaching her about healthy eating.
Healthy eating during childhood is one of parents’ most important responsibilities. And yes, I believe it is completely the grown-up’s job to make the right choice in these situations! I know that denying your children things they want can be a challenge, but that’s our job! We have to set limits!

I saw this happening with a stranger, and I didn’t say anything because I don’t know the whole story. But have you seen this happening closer to home? Does your sister always feed her kids fast food (and yours, when she’s with them, even though you’ve asked her not to)? Does your best friend complain about her child being overweight, but not realize she’s part of the problem?
Tell me about things you’ve noticed, and whether or not you’ve stepped in.
xo
Ali
There was a few people in an uproar about this blog. One lady even started a facebook group demanding a public apology. I don't see what there is to apologize for. The simple fact is here in America this is part of our problem. Ali is simply pointing that fact out. One generation simply passes down obesity and all its acquired health risks right through the family line. Thats how it happened it my family. It makes me sad to when I am out in public and see an overweight child . I feel so bad for what they are going to go through and you know they will. However I must say that I wouldn't place blame totally on a parent. In some cases parents simply do not know any better. I know before I started watching The Biggest Loser I did not realize what a calorie is or how it affected my weight. There are thousands of people out there in the same boat that just don't know even where to begin to change their lifestyle.  By the time you realize what junk does to your body it has turned into an all out food addiction. That addiction is just as hard to beat as alcohol or drugs. Some have even said its harder. Maybe nutrition classes should start being a regular part of our US education system. Maybe we should come off the diet fads like "the cookie diet" and start teaching the facts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment